AstraZeneca have the opportunity for one consultant to join the team in the role as a Senior Research Scientist with focus on Synthetic Medicinal Chemistry, in the area of Respiratory, Inflammation & Autoimmunity within AZ´s Innovative Medicine Unit (RIA IMED). You will get the opportunity to join a highly collaborative discovery team leveraging innovative Medicinal Chemistry in the Respiratory therapeutic area to invent novel medicines.
You will act as role model by leading the science from the bench through synthesis, purification and characterization of lead molecules from target validation to lead optimization phase. You will ensure uptake of novel scientific developments in the area of synthetic organic chemistry into AstraZeneca Medicinal Chemistry teams and projects. You will influence compound design by highlighting opportunities created by recent progress in synthetic Organic Chemistry. You have the ability to share findings and identify publication opportunities.
We are looking for you who has a strong scientific background in Organic / Medicinal Chemistry with excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to engage and collaborate across boundaries with a problem-solving attitude and delivery focus.
This is a temporary position for 12 months starting end of August.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide state-of-the-art Synthetic Organic Chemistry to projects at all stages of drug discovery delivering high quality drug molecules and tool compounds
- Apply synthetic chemistry with a parallel idea generation mindset, efficiently troubleshoot problems and maintain a clear focus and impact on project progression
- Provide a significant level of expertise in synthetic chemistry methodology, purification and analytical sciences to efficiently deliver high quality compounds within agreed timelines
- Collaborate with the chemistry team in the development, planning and prioritization of route design and proactively mitigate potential issues
- Provide quality input into compound design depending on project need
- Follow safety requirements and all AZ corporate responsibility policies
- Drive RIA IMED´s scientific reputation by identifying and contributing to publication opportunities internally, across AZ and/or together with external partners
- PhD (or equivalent experience) in synthetic Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry or Biochemistry; professional experience in the Pharmaceutical Industry is a plus
- In-depth scientific knowledge in the area of modern synthetic chemistry
- Up-to-date with the application of modern purification and analytical techniques
- A proven track record of delivery from own experimental work
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical drug discovery and development process
AstraZeneca is one of the world’s most exciting biopharmaceutical companies. From scientists to sales, lab techs to legal, they are on a mission to turn ideas into life-changing medicines that improve patients’ lives and benefit society. They need great people who share their passion for science and have the drive and determination to meet the unmet needs of patients around the world. This Chemistry team is focused on driving discovery research to deliver world-class medicines with an emphasis on small to large sized synthetically accessible molecules. The team operates in a cross-disciplinary environment in close collaboration with scientists from the Chemistry, Bioscience, DMPK and Pharmaceutical Science departments to advance the RIA project pipeline.
Business: Dfind Science & Engineering
Deadline for applications: 2018-05-24. Selection is on-going and interviews will be held continuously which means the positions can be filled before deadline. Please make sure to send in your application at your earliest convenience!
For more information contact: Alma Zanqrelle email@example.com or Eleonor Ehrman 0733-434109.
Please keep in mind, e-mail applications will not be considered. Register your profile at Dfind Science & Engineering's webpage and send in your application there.
Dfind Science & Engineering is a recruitment and consulting company within science and engineering. All our consultant managers and recruitment consultants have an education and work experience within the respective field. In combination with extensive knowledge of staff issues and solid experience of recruitment, this means that we understand our clients' need for both flexibility and the right skills.
Dfind Science & Engineering is since 2016 part of Randstad Group. With over 600 000 employees in over 40 countries Randstad is the world’s second largest company within recruiting and staffing.