At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. We win through science, it’s at the heart of our every success. That science is only possible when we all work together – we’ll always make sure you’re clear about how your role is connected to our wider mission to really show what science can do.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated Senior Research Scientist to join the Biochemical Assay team in the Discovery Biology department within Discovery Sciences in Innovative Medicine and Early Development Biotech Unit (IMED) in Gothenburg, Sweden. The Biochemical Assay team is responsible for the generation of novel biochemical assays to support projects in the early phases of the drug discovery pipeline. There is an exciting opportunity for you to join the group as a lab-based scientist and be a key member of the team, developing biochemical assays for compound screening and mechanism-of-action studies in support of drug discovery projects.
We are looking for a candidate with experience around development of assays for screening and with the application of mass spectrometry in biological sciences. Leading from the bench, you will apply your expertise and a passion for driving scientific questions, combined with strong team working ethics, to drug discovery projects.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To be a lab-based scientist, delivering expertise in the area of biochemical assay development; independently designing, developing and validating biochemical assays for implementation in drug discovery projects, while incorporating the views of others.
- To develop our internal mass spectrometry capability with implementation on existing and development of novel applications for screening and mechanism of action profiling.
- To implement work-plans over agreed timelines such that the objectives of the project are met, including delivery of more than one agreed area of work in parallel where appropriate.
- To be an effective member of Drug Discovery Project Teams, contributing novel ideas and using judgment and knowledge where appropriate to influence the work of the project.
- To work in partnership with colleagues in the High Throughput Screening and Mechanistic Biology & Profiling teams to ensure that assays are designed optimally and implemented effectively.
- To achieve personal scientific visibility through project contributions and internal presentations at departmental or functional meetings; and external scientific visibility through poster & oral conference presentations and authorship on peer-reviewed publications.
- To maintain an awareness of current developments in the literature and contribute to the continuous improvement process by identifying opportunities in the workplace where improvements can be made; may lead one or more aspects of scientific discipline within the team.
- Ph.D in Biology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry or a related discipline or a MSc degree with significant relevant experience, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
- Expertise in mass spectrometry in biological sciences.
- A practical understanding of a wide range of biochemical assay methods and technologies (not limited to mass spectrometry, for example fluorescence and luminescence techniques) as applied to a range of biological targets.
- Expertise in the design, development and validation of biochemical assays for compound profiling and screening applications; together with an understanding of the application of biochemical assays to deliver mechanistic insight into compound mode of action.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, good scientific judgement and communication skills.
- Excellent team working and networking skills with experience of interacting effectively across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise.
- A practical understanding of assay optimization, including statistical tools such as factorial experimental design, to enable generation of robust, reproducible and sensitive assays.
- Research experience in disease biology in any of the following areas: cardiovascular, renal, diabetes, respiratory and inflammatory disease.
- Experience of working in external collaborations.
Deadline for applications: 2018-03-28. Selection is on-going and interviews will be held continuously which means the positions can be filled before deadline. Please make sure to send in your application at your earliest convenience!
For more information contact: Alma Zanqrelle firstname.lastname@example.org or Eleonor Ehrman 0733-434109
Please keep in mind, e-mail applications will not be considered. Register your profile at Dfind Science & Engineering's webpage and send in your application there.
Dfind Science & Engineering is a recruitment and consulting company within science and engineering. All our consultant managers and recruitment consultants have an education and work experience within the respective field. In combination with extensive knowledge of staff issues and solid experience of recruitment, this means that we understand our clients' need for both flexibility and the right skills.
Dfind Science & Engineering is since 2016 part of Randstad Group. With over 600 000 employees in over 40 countries Randstad is the worlds second largest company within recruiting and staffing.